Friday, September 13, 2013

Learning to Sing


"In the full light of day, and in hearing of the music of other voices, the caged bird will not sing the song that his master seeks to teach him. He learns a snatch of this, a trill of that, but never a separate and entire melody. But the master covers the cage, and places it where the bird will listen to the one song he is to sing. In the dark, he tries and tries again to sing that song until it is learned, and he breaks forth in perfect melody. Then the bird is brought forth, and ever after he can sing that song in the light. Thus God deals with His children. He has a song to teach us, and when we have learned it amid the shadows of affliction we can sing it ever afterward" (MH 472.2).

Sometimes trials surround me.
I feel like a bird in a cage.
The darkness presses around me.
I can sense the devil's rage.

But then I hear through the darkness
A song that is new to me.
A song of trust and deliverance,
Of faith that the sunshine I'll see.

I sing, for the song tells my story.
And now the plan I can see.
My Master knows just how to teach me,
For in the darkness He drew close to me.

Lord, teach me to sing in the darkness
The song that You want me to sing.
So when the daylight comes again,
The song will glorify my King.

2 comments:

  1. I rather like this post. :) Did you write the poem? I'm assuming so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were blessed. :) Yes, I wrote the poem. Miss you guys!! Have a wonderful Sabbath!

      Delete