Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Digging Wells in the Valley

 There's an old song I heard years ago, and it describes the importance of leaving a well of joy behind you when you travel through a valley in life so that those who follow after will be encouraged by your experience. I had forgotten all about that song until just before my first biopsy, when it "just happened" to show up as a recommendation on YouTube (click here to listen). I think that's when the idea first registered in my brain that I was just starting through a dark valley. 


Proverbial valleys aren't fun. In fact they are often symbolic of especially difficult times and circumstances. But even in this valley of cancer, I'm finding that God is digging wells for me - wells of joy, peace, and hope. But before I continue to wax eloquent on the wells I'm finding, let me give you the latest update on our cancer journey.


My oncologist took my case to the Tumor Board, but he hasn't told us any of the outcome. He has told us that my case is incurable, and that with a highly intensive plan of chemo, radiation, and hormone therapy, I might have 3-5 years left. We are seeking a second opinion (and third or fourth!) and we'll see what the integrative oncologist has to say. The integrative oncologist blends conventional and alternative therapies as much as possible, and my current oncologist has stated that he is unwilling to allow any alternative therapy in my plan, unless I wish to smoke marijuana. Lol! So we are still praying for wisdom on how God would have us proceed with building a plan of treatment.


In the meantime, we have been doing some natural treatments, which will at the very least slow the growth of the tumors while we are in this waiting time. God has blessed in many ways, including lessening my bone pain significantly. I'm exceedingly grateful for the relief!! Last week was difficult, as I had a coughing fit that triggered a massive muscle spasm in my lower back that took several days to recover from. But our Jesus is still faithful!


Thank you to everyone who is praying, and those who have shared advice or offered help. My family and I feel incredibly loved! Please, keep praying, as I know our God has only just begun to show His power!


Back to the wells. I'm finding that God is digging a well of joy in this valley He's walking with me. I can see the beauty around me more clearly as I look at the plants on my walks or when I see my friends' child smile and laugh at the frog she's just caught. There's a joy, too, in seeing the outpouring of love and care from more people than I can count - I had no clue God had used me to bless so many, and the knowledge that He has done so brings more joy than I can tell you, because there's no joy like the joy of knowing you've been working with Jesus. And because of this well of joy He's been digging in my valley, I'm finding extra pleasure in sharing joy and humor with those around me. It's such fun to get the nurses to laugh while they're doing whatever they have to do to me!


The wells of peace and hope are side by side. Knowing the greatest Physician of all has personally taken my case brings both peace and hope like nothing else! Spending time with Jesus in the mornings gets sweeter every day, and the promises He gives me from the Bible are so precious. Regardless of how this trial turns out, whether I live or die, I know that my Redeemer lives, and that heaven will more than make up for anything I go through here on Earth.


So, as you go through your day, look for the wells of joy, hope, and peace that Jesus is digging for you, too!

10 comments:

  1. This reminds of the well that Jacob dug and how Jesus met the woman of Samaria there thousands of years later. There He shared with her the gift of living water that filled her heart with so much joy that she had to share it with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for all the wells of joy! May God continue to fill you moment by moment with joy, peace and hope. Praying with you dear friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord prayers the law I will continue to pray for youπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the Lord may He continue to fill you with His love and peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. So grateful for artisan wells and not just basins and that God keeps us filled as we partake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are praying for you and your family. As you go through this valley of the shadow of death please remember that He prepares a table before you! May your experience be a blessing to many.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for peace and joy even in this hard time. Know that I am praying for you and your family, and praying that somehow God is glorified through this whole experience. So honored to be able to read your blog, and let you know that I care about you and I'm praying for you. Aunt Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you continually -love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Rebekah,

    You have been such a blessing in my life. I still remember very well when you were at OH. Your love for God and for those around you inspired me. You’re a truly like an angel to me. ;D (inside joke)

    When I heard of your recent diagnosis, my heart felt for you. I’m so sorry to hear that. We live in such a sinful world full of problems... but a troubled world does not have to mean a troubled heart.

    Thankfully, God is still in control! You and Him are a powerful team! Somehow this all will bring Him honor and glory which I have already seen in this blog post. Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

    Much love, Bethany

    ReplyDelete