Thursday, July 15, 2021

Going Deeper into the Valley

 First of all, Daniel and I want to thank everyone for their prayers and love. We have felt God's hand on us through this whole ordeal. Deciding on a treatment plan was very difficult. We were blessed to be able to have a consultation with Dr. Neil Nedley, from Weimar, as well as with an integrative oncologist. Dr. Nedley agreed with my first oncologist that my prognosis, without a miracle, is 3-5 years with aggressive treatment. He advised us to go ahead with the chemotherapy treatment and suggested several alternative therapies to do alongside the chemo. The consultation with the integrative oncologist had a similar result. She recommended we contact an oncologist in Pennsylvania who is doing cutting-edge research into T-cell therapy for breast cancer. When Daniel called the number, the doctor himself answered (definitely arranged by God!) and when he heard me coughing he told us that I needed to start the chemo immediately and look into joining the study after I finish chemo. So through the counsel of three additional doctors God made it clear that I was to start chemo.


Tuesday I had my first chemo treatment. I was given Benadryl to help with nausea, etc., but I didn't realize how strongly I reacted to the stuff! It put me into such a deep sleep the nurses were worried because I couldn't answer their questions if I were to have a negative reaction to anything.Thankfully the treatment went smoothly, and I went home to sleep... and sleep... and sleep! I felt the effects well into Wednesday! Wednesday evening my temperature started to climb. Now that I am a chemo patient, if my temperature reaches 100.4 it means an automatic trip to the ER. In the middle of the night last night, we had to go to the ER and we were there for quite a while. 


I am home now, and resting. We're so grateful for the prayers going up on our behalf, and we can feel God holding us through each new aspect. Please continue to pray for God's will to be done. As Dr. Nedley pointed out to us, without a miracle, I will die from this, but we know the Miracle Worker!


9 comments:

  1. Dear Rebekah, I have not heard your voice since you visited Dunlap weeks ago. But you have been on my mind often. AA 465 is worth looking up when you are able. You are precious to us. --Eugene Prewitt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continuing to pray Rebecca. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear one, Thinking of you, and thank you for the update. Your journey will bless many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear Rebecca, I am so sorry to hear about this painful road you have been called to travel 😭 💔Although we have not known each other closely, your deep dedication to God and cheerful spirit have been an inspiration to me through the years. I know as you pass through the water and the fire your heavenly Father will be with you. May that knowledge carry you through...

    Yesterday's reading from the book "Streams in the Desert" seems fitting, "To trust in spite of the look of being forsaken; to keep crying out into the vast, whence comes no returning voice, and where seems no hearing; to see the machinery of the world pauselessly grinding on as if self-moved, caring for no life, nor shifting a hair-breadth for all entreaty, and yet believe that God is awake and utterly loving; to desire nothing but what comes meant for us from His hand; to wait patiently, ready to die of hunger, fearing only lest faith should fail—such is the victory that overcometh the world, such is faith indeed." —George MacDonald

    You are loved and prayed for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May God hold you with His protection and love and bless you with strength and grace. Love, prayers, and a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continued prayers my precious baby Paco.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am praying for you even though we have never met. Through God we have now and through your blog I will follow you. I to am going through metastatic breast cancer to the bone. I have HER2+. I am 62 much older than you, mother of 2 grown children and now 2 grandsons, 2.5yrs and 6 months. I retired in June after 35years as an RN. I was diagnosed in March 2021. I will finish my 6 rounds of Chemo tomorrow and then more scans to see how the cancer has responded. I like the thing about God created us and He knows how best to treat us. I pray that in my daily prayers for all on my list suffering from cancer. The 4 different chemos and premeds make me very tired and other side effects, BUT our GOD loves us and HE pulls me through each month and I have good weeks that I can be normal and attend church and help with activities at church. I pray you have good days. No matter how many years we have left on earth only GOD knows. Prayers for HIS WILL. Love in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebekah and Daniel,
    First, prayers for you both, all the time. Second, thanks for sharing your story and journey.
    As you know, I am an ovarian cancer survivor (Stage III C), I know about Taxol chemotherapy, mine was Taxol/carboplatin. I also understand facing a grim prognosis. Since hearing the news, it has taken me a while to think back and remember my own journey. If I can encourage you, what I can relate is that no one knows the outcome, except for our father in heaven. I can remember like it was yesterday, what I was told by both my oncologist and my GYN cancer oncologist(my surgeon). My chances of surviving 5 years was 25-30% from one doctor and up to 50% from the other. That day I made it to my car and then burst into tears, I drove home in between bouts of crying. I made it home and continued my sadness (I realized I would not have a long life). Then, my attitude changed. I decided I would/could be the "one", one of 3 in 10, the one of two, that survived. I mean why not? I still had very difficult times, some good days, some bad days. Most of my cancer peers are not on earth(I was in a GYN cancer support group for a while). My therapy was successful (surgery/chemo), my cancer remains in remission after 16 years. So, in conclusion, I say "just keep moving forward", through thick and thin, we are with you, Jesus is with you. This is where I am supposed to be, as difficult or as easy as it may be. All my love to you and Daniel.
    Sally Hill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you Rebecca. Enjoy the family visit you are receiving for your Birthday. Miss and pray for you both daily.

    ReplyDelete