Today is Sabbath, the most precious day of the week. And today has been a precious day, indeed! A day of miracles. Let me fill you in...
During the praise and prayer time at church, I watched from my vantage point at the piano as Gideon* raised his hand timidly. Gideon is one of the academy boys I have a special burden for. I'm not sure what has happened, but for some reason he's extremely quiet, shy, and depressed. Today was a milestone for him. When his hand was acknowledged, he proceeded to tell us how the Lord had blessed the evangelistic series that had just finished at his parents' church. I was thrilled! Then for Sabbath School, Gideon had the opening prayer, as well as sang a duet with his roommate for special music!
Then we divided for classes. I made my way to one of the academy classes. Normally the academy seniors teach Sabbath School. This weekend, however, the seniors are on "Senior Survival" and no one was prepared to teach the lesson. (I hadn't even looked at it yet!) Someone asked me if I was prepared to teach the lesson and I said no, but we could all wing it together.
Opening the lesson study, I found that this week's lesson had been on the purification sacrifice and the memory verse was 1 Pet. 1:18, 19. "Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, ... but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot." I hesitated for a moment and sensed that lovely little Voice whisper, "Bekah, I'm with you. I'll give you words to speak. Just speak them boldly!" I trembled inside, knowing that I was dealing with a precious subject, a holy topic, and that some of the most flippant students in the school were sitting in my class. Paul* and George* were watching me intently. Very reserved with most of the staff here, Paul is another student that I am intentionally trying to reach. George is often irreverent and rebellious, and had almost never had anything nice to say to me, even when I paid him a complement. With a prayer in my heart, I started in.
We talked of redemption, of what it meant in general, and of what it meant specifically. Paul and George listened closely, hanging on everything I said, even making occasional remarks or questions. At one point, I felt a nudge to do something I had never done with these students. Going back to 1 Pet. 1:18, 19, I began to paraphrase the verses. "Paul was not redeemed with anything this world can offer, but instead with the priceless life of the Son of God! George was not redeemed with... Gideon was not redeemed with... Rebekah was not redeemed with..." Silence filled the room. Paul looked at his feet with a solemn expression. George shifted uncomfortably, then glanced up at me before staring at his hands. Did I glimpse tears in George's eyes? Suddenly it felt like my heart was about to burst with love for these youth. I spoke with a passion and an intensity that surprised me. And God touched hearts. No amazing commitments. No sudden confessions or consecrations. Just a solemn realization of the price paid for each one of them. A personal epiphany of their value to God - and how much we should value Him.
But the miracles weren't over yet. Class finished and most of the students filed outside. A few boys stayed to fold the chairs and put them away. I was putting my Bible and quarterly away when a voice interrupted me. "Um, Miss Rebekah?" I looked up to see George standing over me, his hand reaching out to shake mine. "You did a really good job, especially since you had to wing it. Thanks. I - I really appreciated what you said." A mixture of shock, incredulity, and joy filled me as I shook hands with this boy and thanked him for his input and help with the discussion. With a smile, he left.
I walked into the gorgeous fall sunshine, but hardly felt it. I barely noticed the swirling leaves, the caressing wind, the sweet bird songs. My heart was soaring! I was reminded of what my friend Beth used to tell me so often: "Our Jesus has never lost a battle yet!"
*Not their real names.
During the praise and prayer time at church, I watched from my vantage point at the piano as Gideon* raised his hand timidly. Gideon is one of the academy boys I have a special burden for. I'm not sure what has happened, but for some reason he's extremely quiet, shy, and depressed. Today was a milestone for him. When his hand was acknowledged, he proceeded to tell us how the Lord had blessed the evangelistic series that had just finished at his parents' church. I was thrilled! Then for Sabbath School, Gideon had the opening prayer, as well as sang a duet with his roommate for special music!
Then we divided for classes. I made my way to one of the academy classes. Normally the academy seniors teach Sabbath School. This weekend, however, the seniors are on "Senior Survival" and no one was prepared to teach the lesson. (I hadn't even looked at it yet!) Someone asked me if I was prepared to teach the lesson and I said no, but we could all wing it together.
Opening the lesson study, I found that this week's lesson had been on the purification sacrifice and the memory verse was 1 Pet. 1:18, 19. "Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, ... but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot." I hesitated for a moment and sensed that lovely little Voice whisper, "Bekah, I'm with you. I'll give you words to speak. Just speak them boldly!" I trembled inside, knowing that I was dealing with a precious subject, a holy topic, and that some of the most flippant students in the school were sitting in my class. Paul* and George* were watching me intently. Very reserved with most of the staff here, Paul is another student that I am intentionally trying to reach. George is often irreverent and rebellious, and had almost never had anything nice to say to me, even when I paid him a complement. With a prayer in my heart, I started in.
We talked of redemption, of what it meant in general, and of what it meant specifically. Paul and George listened closely, hanging on everything I said, even making occasional remarks or questions. At one point, I felt a nudge to do something I had never done with these students. Going back to 1 Pet. 1:18, 19, I began to paraphrase the verses. "Paul was not redeemed with anything this world can offer, but instead with the priceless life of the Son of God! George was not redeemed with... Gideon was not redeemed with... Rebekah was not redeemed with..." Silence filled the room. Paul looked at his feet with a solemn expression. George shifted uncomfortably, then glanced up at me before staring at his hands. Did I glimpse tears in George's eyes? Suddenly it felt like my heart was about to burst with love for these youth. I spoke with a passion and an intensity that surprised me. And God touched hearts. No amazing commitments. No sudden confessions or consecrations. Just a solemn realization of the price paid for each one of them. A personal epiphany of their value to God - and how much we should value Him.
But the miracles weren't over yet. Class finished and most of the students filed outside. A few boys stayed to fold the chairs and put them away. I was putting my Bible and quarterly away when a voice interrupted me. "Um, Miss Rebekah?" I looked up to see George standing over me, his hand reaching out to shake mine. "You did a really good job, especially since you had to wing it. Thanks. I - I really appreciated what you said." A mixture of shock, incredulity, and joy filled me as I shook hands with this boy and thanked him for his input and help with the discussion. With a smile, he left.
I walked into the gorgeous fall sunshine, but hardly felt it. I barely noticed the swirling leaves, the caressing wind, the sweet bird songs. My heart was soaring! I was reminded of what my friend Beth used to tell me so often: "Our Jesus has never lost a battle yet!"
*Not their real names.
I got excited just reading this.
ReplyDeleteYes, Jesus never loses a battle.