Saturday, June 30, 2012

So, I finally have time (and internet access!) to update this blog with a few stories from my canvassing experience this summer. Enjoy!

As I was approaching a cycle shop, I saw two gentlemen get into a pickup truck and get ready to leave. The little voice whispered to me, “Go talk to those men and start with a Great Controversy!” As I walked up to the truck, I was trying to think what to say to stop them before they drove away. Suddenly, the passenger saw me and called out, “Hey there, young lady. Whatcha got?” As soon as I started showing them the Great Controversy, Scott (the passenger) told me how he believed that Jesus is coming soon and that God is preparing a group of people to meet Him. He continued telling me that he wants to be ready to meet Jesus and be part of that group of people that God will use to prepare others to meet Him, too. He was so excited over the Great Controversy. When I mentioned free Bible studies, Scott's response was, “Oh yes! I love studyin' the Bible every chance I get! I join every Bible study I can! Sign me up!” I love meeting those souls who are hungering and thirsting for truth!

One couple was very interested in the books I had. The lady finally chose Ministry of Healing and a DVD on Daniel 9 and the prophecies about Jesus' first coming. When she went to get some money, I heard her tell her husband, “Maybe she's an angel, honey! I think she might be.” After bringing me a $20 donation, she said, “My husband said he'd be right back. He wants to give you a donation, too.” Just then, her husband came back – with a $100 bill! I'm definitely not an angel, but I love working with them!

A couple kids were playing outside and wanted to know what I was doing. One girl, 9-year-old Piper, loved the cookbook, but her mom wouldn't buy it. However, Piper really wanted to come with me, so her mom gave her permission to go with me up to a certain house. She loved knocking on the doors, showing the people the cookbook, and leaving the Bible study cards in the doors. Before she left, I let her choose which of the kids' books she wanted. She chose Prince of Peace, the story of Jesus.

The Happiness for Life (Steps to Christ) booklets have a picture on the front of a hummingbird drinking from a hibiscus flower. One lady I canvassed had rejected me on all the other books, so I started to show her the "Happy D," as we call it. Before I could say anything about it, her face registered shock and excitement. “I have almost that same picture tattooed on my shoulder blade! I've got to have that one! I'll be right back!” She came back with $5 in quarters, asking “Is this enough? I've got to have that book! It must be a sign from God for me!” The Lord sure uses some strange ways sometimes!

“The value of a soul, who can estimate? Would you know its worth, go to Gethsemane, and there watch with Christ through those hours of anguish, when He sweat as it were great drops of blood. Look upon the Saviour uplifted on the cross. Hear that despairing cry, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Look upon the wounded head, the pierced side, the marred feet. Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled. At the foot of the cross, remembering that for one sinner Christ would have laid down His life, you may estimate the value of a soul.” – COL 196.4

Not all the stories had happy endings, though. I approached a man who had just driven up to his house. Before I could say anything, he held up his hand and said, “Your books and I won't mix. I'm going into my house to have a smoke. See, I've got my weed in my hand already.” And he held up his hand, showing me the joint. “No, your books and I won't mix.”

The truest value of a soul
Lord, who can estimate?
Can price be writ in terms of gold,
Of wealth or treasure great?
Not one of these can rightly tell
The value of one soul.
No ink can write, no pen can trace
The cost to make us whole.

What can we use as a measure true
The value of a soul to find?
Let's go to lone Gethsemane;
Picture it in your mind.
See the Savior kneeling there
The blood upon His face;
See Him as He prays for strength
To free the human race.

Now let's go to Calvary
And hear the mocking cries.
See the spotless Lamb of God
As for our sins He dies.
Here is the only place I find
Our value revealed to the human mind.

The only way to measure true
The value of one soul
Is to understand the cost that was paid
Just to make us whole.
The value of one human soul
Is the life of the Son of God.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Miss Rebekah! :) Remember me from YD?
    Awesome stories...I love that poem! Did you write it? May I share it, please? I have a blog that tries to be mostly about poetry/music (although sometimes it's more about what goes on around here...). I'd love to share it on there.
    I'm really excited about doing some canvassing as soon as I get the books in the mail! Doing it as a fundraiser for going on YD's ME. I'm also praying that many people can be reached with the truth, and that we'll have a very good reason to enlarge our local church...

    Anyway, I sure miss you!

    Love,
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Samantha! Of course I remember you! I've been praying for you! :) You're welcome to share whatever you like from my blog. Yes, I wrote that poem. I'm praying for you as you and Jonathan work to spread God's truth! How exciting!

    I miss you, too!

    Love always,
    Miss Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading the stories from your summer canvassing. Helps me remember the short time that I spent doing that in NJ. We truly do serve an amazing and awesome God.
    Looking forward to His soon return.

    ReplyDelete